Friday 14 February 2014

TGIV- Thank God It's Valentines!

TGIF!! TGIV!!

Valentines IS a BIG deal. I don't know why people pretend its not and try to look all macho, please! So now, in the first matatu I boarded, no one had worn red. These boring people! The mood was not right here, watu walikuwa wamekula ndimu nini? I sat there Facebooking, with my touch of red, not too obvious and not to be ignored either. This week the conductors have been all things mannerless, annoying and nothing good; but today, he smiled his stained teeth at me and said "Good day!" Awwww! Aki ni valentines! I believe!

Wee! What was missing in my first ride was made up for in the CBD! Red tu! Stands with red monkeys (really?!!), teddy bears, flowers (both plastic and real) plus the lady with the red wedges, red dress, red hairband all colour blocked by her complexion and the black paper bag she was carrying, dotted the streets.

I din't tell Omosh (refer to first blog post) "Happy Valentines", but I did wave. The air in the matatu was stuffy. I secured myself a window seat and hastily opened the window lest I suffocate on this auspicious day. It would be a tragedy. "She died smelling bad things instead of roses." Nothing in the matatu screamed VALENTINES! Except of course for the music. As I sat down, the song "I just can't stop loving you' was playing. Was it a sign that it was going to be a good day? Hmmm, I think its important to mention that he-the driver also played Tina Turner's 'What's love got to do with it?' Sigh. Otherwise, the nappers napped, the eaters ate and the readers read. The chic next to me was busy using her phone as a mirror. Times are hard. If I was her boyfriend, I would have been saved the trouble of thinking up a valentines gift.

Even the roads are feeling romantic today. No traffic even on the notorious parking lot that is Lang'ata road. The Nyayo Stadium roundabout is awash with activity as ladies and gentlemen in red t-shirts carry out some sort of promotion...which reminds me, I saw a lady wearing a Bites promo tshirt. It was red alright. She might have been going to work, at the bites company, or-my best bet- she was in the red theme. Surely, its never that serious. If you cant find a red something that's not doing a free sales pitch, wacha tu...

And that was my valentines morning, ended in a bit of an anticlimax though, at a stop before mine, when both the driver and the conductor decided to take a piss kando ya barabara. One thing you must do when you get off a matatu, wash your hands, especially if the conductor handed you change. That is all.

Am out! Happy Valentines! Don't call me, tell me in the comment box below :D

No comments:

Post a Comment