Monday 30 November 2020

LOST PART 2: Ndenderu Na Hukoooo


Hi!

Have you ever been to Ndenderu?

Hold that thought…

Did you know that a lot of people would rather get lost in Nairobi than ask for directions? To stay safe in the capital you must assume you are the only good person on these streets. That woiye looking old mama asking to use your phone is working in cahoots with some thieves who will steal your phone then get you beaten to a pulp if you fall for their trick. That person you ask for directions may point you to a dark alley and proceed to relieve you of the little wealth you have amassed in Nairobi, the city under the sun.

There are of course exceptions. There are people who will even offer to take you to your desired location. Free of charge! They will not ask for chai or worse, look at you with those eyes of “even you don’t feel shame on me leaving me empty?”

I just felt I should say the above. It may or may not have something to do with this week’s post.

Me I don’t know Nairobi. I am not the kind of person you call to show you this city. It is too big for me. I have been here for nine years now and I just go where I need to go and back to my humble abode. The only person I have defeated with my knowledge of this maze is a foreigner. So you can imagine my surprise the other day when I found out that one can access Ruaka from Kiambu road with a matatu. Mi kitambo I would just go all the way to Ngara and get a mat there. My comber friend told me that I just tell the conductor to drop me at Ruaka stage.

Haya. Si I get into the 14-seater. Of course my legs don’t fit on their designated space. Halafu, they are carrying excess, so I can’t even use the space next to me for relief. Anyway, I was told it won’t be long before I alight. I sat back and waited to see my landmark for Ruaka, QuickMart Supermarket. It doesn’t appear so me I am like hatujafika. Kidogo kidogo the matatu stops and people alight. Total Ruaka is the stage. Hmmm. I do not remember seeing this before. Anyway, I haven’t seen Quickmart so I lean back.

I am carrying a crate of eggs and frozen chicken for my friend. The chicken is there sweating sweating and making me feel uncomfortable. I hope we get there soon jamani.

We spend about five long minutes at total calling for passengers who might be headed to or towards Ndenderu. They were not many, so we continue with our journey. I had paid 20 bob for this trip and I was like, eh! This friend has saved for me at least 30 bob. Bless her. But now, I start getting worried. My Quickmart is nowhere to be seen. My eyes are just beholding mountains of soil at the side of the road. Eh. Where did the fruit and vegetables guys go na vile they dot the streets of Ruaka the way the corona red dots populate the map of the world? As in they are usually many!

There must be an explanation for this, I thought.

At some point, the car cuts a corner and my esophagus panics. Maybe it was me wondering how 20 bob can take one so far in these times of rona. Plus, aiii? Ruaka can’t have changed overnight like this. Manze the weather has even changed. The kamageras, those helping the kanges call for customers are now of full Kikuyu mode. Wololo! Iko shida. When the matatu comes to a halt and more people alight, I call the conductor and ask him, “Si ulisema unaingia Ruaka?”

The look on the guy’s face just told me I had messed up. Remember that Total Ruaka where we stood for 60 minutes? Well. That was my stop. My frens! I am in Ndenderu and environs! Mr. man tells me to just cross the road and hail a matatu heading to Ruaka. “Ni mob! And they will just charge you 20 bob.” I step out and the Kiambu road mud kisses Ndenderu mud. I would like to say it was love at first sight, but I was not paying attention. My eyes are now seeing a big sign written ‘Ndenderu.’



I cross the road and soon enough another 14 seater comes. He! Kwani people of Ndenderu got the rona vaccine and we don’t know? Social distancing is a myth. We have been packed paki – like biscuits. Selected few have masks. The chicken is still sweating and the eggs are nodding to every bump in acknowledgement. The conductor is talking about how so many businessmen have lost premises due to the ongoing road works. Well, I assume that’s what he is saying because he is pointing at the buildings marked ‘X’ and shaking his head too. The woman next to him humors him and the conversation continues. The driver and I both have our eyes on the road for very different reasons. I am not about to get lost again.

You can’t imagine the laugh my host let out when I told her the story. Sigh. Some people can’t even see you are carrying goodies and you can just decide to go back with them.  

Also, Ndenderu people you must do better. How is it that the first image on Googling Ndenderu is one of women raiding bars over illicit brews? Kwanza that’s the profile pic Google has given you. Makosa.


Matatu Methali of the Day: Kama hutaki kukalia kiti cha nyuma basi ng’oa uweke mbele.

 

1 comment: